Tuesday, February 7, 2012

STOUT

328 BOTTLES OF BEER ON THE WALL
February 7, 2012 (Tuesday)
STOUT- OATMEAL STOUT
12 fluid ounces, no alchohol content listed
Brewed and Bottled by Alaskan Brewing Co, Juneau, AK

FROM THE BOTTLE: Nothing on the label so I will give you some info on what is an Oatmeal stout:
Oatmeal stout is a stout with a proportion of oats, normally a maximum of 30%, added during the brewing process. Even though a larger proportion of oats in beer can lead to a bitter or astringent taste,[16] during the medieval period in Europe, oats were a common ingredient in ale,[17] and proportions up to 35% were standard. However, despite some areas of Europe, such as Norway, still clinging to the use of oats in brewing until the early part of the 20th century, the practice had largely died out by the 16th century, so much so that in 1513 Tudor sailors refused to drink oat beer offered to them because of the bitter flavour.

FROM THE MOUTH: Well,this is actually my first Stout, I am embarressed to say and the reason for this blog- Carpe Diem! Now for the tasting.. a decidedly full beer - full taste and complex flavors. Heavy on the coffee, then a bit of chocolate and finish with a pleasant burned flavor ( I know sounds wrong but but it is a result from highly kilned barely or malt in some stouts). I commend Alaskan for this delicious swirl of flavors. I like it. A- (still have to have more Stouts to really know for sure!)

FROM THE GRILL: Something medieval like Venison sausage.

FROM THE STORE: Huckleberries in Spokane WA

I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I
know nothing. Socrates

drink yer beer

ei



No comments:

Post a Comment