Sunday, January 1, 2012

FREMONT ABOMINABLE ALE

Fremont Abominable Ale
1 pint 6 oz, 8% alcohol- what!
Fremont Brewing in Seattle
Happy New Year everyone
****
Our first beer comes from Fremont Brewing in Seattle; thank you Peggy!
I like what it says on the bottom of the label..." because beer matters" ..perfect beer to start the year.
They describe the beer thusly: Abominable is dark like the weather with roast chocolate and warm malt flavors balanced with Noble hop aroma and subtle hoppy spice.
AS noted from the photo- the beer is dark with little foam at pouring and it pours smoothly and it is lighter than I thought it would be- not thick. I would say it is a hoppy tasting beer but not overpowering, kind of yummy sweet actually. I can't taste chocolate but something hangs heavy ( but not too heavy) in my mouth- must be the hops- right George!
I am going to say this is a 4 star hoppy beer- 5 star being the hoppiest, but ...I have nothing to compare it with yet so who cares! Would I have it again- yes!
This is a beer I can imagine ordering after a day out on the slopes or snow shoeing through the Rockies, nestled by a roaring fire with my family. I think it needs a hearty sandwich of perhaps cornbeef and cabbage or something with cheese to bring out the full flavor.
If there are any misspellings or I sound stupid.................it's because I have had too much beer.
Woohoooo, time to go fill up my glass again.
Hope to see you here tomorrow night. As I get going I will try to list the beers I will be tasting on a weekly basis so you can join along if you too believe....."beer matters!"
* Hoppy Scale out of 5
Lets make this a year to remember. I will leave you with one of my favorites:
Invictus
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be...
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
Ei

2 comments:

  1. Ei,
    You are off to a great start ( I'm partial to dark beer). Best of enjoyment to you and thanks for starting this blog!
    Cheers!
    Mine is actually Tullamore Dew Irish whiskey on the rocks!
    Here's to 364 more cheers!
    Jaybird AKA Birdwoman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Birdwoman, Why mess with beer when you have whiskey!
    thanks for checking me out!

    ReplyDelete